Right in the middle of the city there is G.C.. It was built in 1280 by Heinrich von Finstingen and remained in sound condtion for the following 400 years. Later it was destroyed several times and in 1830 the restoration of the castle began. In 1902 it was seriously damaged by fire and since that time the slate roof ("Welsche Haube") of the castle tower, the "Goloturm", has been destroyed. Since 1938 the city of Mayen has been owner of the castle. Today there is the "Eifelmuseum" and "Deutsches Schieferbergwerk" (German Slate Mine Museum) below G.C. For many years the "Burgfestspiele Mayen" have been performed in the courtyard, an extra-ordinary open-air theatre.
adults € 6.50, reduced € 4.50, guided tours on requestOpening hours
all year, Tue-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat/Sun 10am-6pm