In 1331 the Teutonic Order took over the castle and erected a commandry. The Castle of the Order has an outer bailey and an inner castle, a threefold moat and rampart system to match the precise location, and is the only completely preserved Teutonic Knight’s castle in Thuringia. Built on an overseas trade and pilgrimage route (Hamburg/Venice), it is the last and largest stop-over castle in Europe. It is a spectacle of knightly architecture with later reconstructions. Various exhibitions, amongst them: “Napoleon – the campaign in Thuringia” (pewter figure exhibition) and “Teutonic Order bailiwick Thuringia” (construction). Castle shop, coin embossing, renting of rooms (up to 200 people), and much more.